Wednesday, October 04, 2006

first week thoughts yo

I just wanted to draw people's attention to something a students said to me on my first day of teaching. I hadn't actually taken the class yet and this student came up to me when the other kids were rehersing and asked me if I liked teaching and other related topics. Her closing comment to me was, "miss, we muck around a lot but that doesn't mean we're stupid'. Now I don't think my supervisor treats them as such but I believe that this student was sick and tired of years of being labelled as just that, 'a student' rather than a human being. I have been making a huge effort to only ever treat my students as I would expect to be treated which has actually not been easy. I have resisted bargaining and punishment (when I say punishment, I mean, the kids can't play a fun game at the end of the class as they haven't behaved) and I think it will pay off.
The most beneficial thing I have done, is go to the theatre with the kids. Not only were the kids really excited to see me there, they were even more surprised when I told them I didnt have to come but wanted to. They didnt understand why I would do something if I wasnt made to. Of course I was mad keen to see the show, but I also revelled in the opportunity to spend some out of school time with these students. It was great. I had a coffee with a few of them after (against the rules I know) and now I am Knowlesey, not Miss Knowles. I have these students first thing today and I cant wait to see them. Sam has a dog that just died, Emily's boyfriend is five years older than her and her mum is not happy about it, and Steve wants to drop out of school and go to cuba. Every little bit of information makes me fall in love with these kids more and the more I look forward to meeting with them every day.
Don't have lunch in the staff room every day. (I have). Get out and meet these people who you have the opportunity to get to know. You can have sixty or so new friends after these three weeks. That's a plus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home